By Rajwa Quasim
A 15-year-old girl from New Jersey has withdrawn her lawsuit against social media giants like Meta, Google, and Snap just weeks before the case was due to go to trial. The lawsuit was one among the 3,300 and one of the three bellwether cases scheduled to go to trial in October. The rest two lawsuits by teen plaintiffs with similar allegations against social media giants are still for trial in October.
Bellwether verdicts happen when thousands of plaintiffs sue the same defendant; a few representative cases go to trial first to predict how future juries might rule and to help guide settlement negotiations.
The girl, identified as P.M-Y, accused the social media companies of deliberately designing their platform in a way that addicts young users and further fuels a mental health crisis and self-harm. Her attorney Emizly Jeffcott said, “She initiated this process with the goal of holding social media companies accountable and to push for changes to protect young people like herself.”
READ: Meta prepares to fight thousands of lawsuits against the company (August 17, 2026)
According to the court filings, she voluntarily dropped her lawsuit, and the companies said no payment was made in exchange for the dismissal of the case. Her attorney, Jeffcott, said that the teen decided to end as she wants to move on and resume her own life.
In a statement by Meta defending its position that could help in future lawsuits, the company said, “This plaintiff had a significant mental health condition that pre-dated her use of social media, and it’s clear that many of these cases fit the same pattern.”
Meanwhile, You Tube reacted to the voluntarily withdrawal as its longstanding position that they provide safe, age-appropriate experiences and strong parental controls for young people and families.
Meta is defending the lawsuit filed by attorneys general of 29 states which alleged the company of designing its social media platforms in a way that makes young users addicted to the platform along with violation of other laws. The jury trial began on Tuesday in federal court in Oakland, California. Another trial. is ongoing in Nashville.
Thousands of families, school districts, and other plaintiffs have accused these platforms of using features such as personalized recommendations, endless scrolling, and notifications to encourage excessive use.
READ: Meta to release new AI model’s weights as Zuckerberg doubles down on open source (August 10, 2026
The California state itself has roughly 3,300 consolidated lawsuits and the cases have been centralized (multidistrict litigation), bringing together thousands of similar lawsuits to keep the case consistent and avoid duplication of tasks, such as collecting evidence. The case, being heard by the California court Judge Gonzalez Rogers.
Previously, New Mexico court ordered Meta to pay $567 million for a fund aimed at addressing mental health harms among teenagers who use its platforms. The judge also ordered the company to make several changes to Facebook and Instagram in a way it doesn’t harm children’s wellbeing. In the first ruling in March, the jury had ordered the company to pay $375 million in penalty, making the company pay around $942 million. But the company then said it would appeal,
In March, the first individual trial in litigation resulted in verdicts of $4.2 million against Meta and $1.8 million against Google. Another teen plaintiff dropped a case against Meta in July without going to trial as other defendants settled.


